This is an archived version of the University Catalog and is no longer being maintained. References to people, offices, policies, and web links may be outdated. View the current catalog or email for updated information. Students who have catalog rights to this version of the catalog should check with an advisor for graduation requirements.

Skip to Side Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Accessibility Settings

Academic Advising

Academic Advising Page Navigation

Academic Advising Programs consists of the following departments: advising, new student orientation and national student exchange. Our purpose is to help you develop and achieve your educational goals and use the diverse resources available at California State University, Chico. The focus is on you! Our staff will help facilitate your understanding of the opportunities here, as well as the policies and procedures related to your academic progress. If we don't have the answer, we will help you find someone who does. We welcome all of your questions, so make a plan to drop in on a regular basis.

Undergraduate Advising

Academic Advisors are available to answer your questions regarding academic planning, resources, and success. We can help you understand how to meet General Education and other graduation requirements, choose courses of interest, select majors, minors, including interdisciplinary minors and other educational offerings (certificates, exchange programs, and internships). Advisors can assist in addressing concerns about academic probation and resolve issues related to policies and procedures. We also assist transfer students in understanding their transfer-credit evaluations and degree progress reports.

Advising staff will help you explore how the various requirements of your degree complement each other and lead to the development of your overall educational program.

If you have a question regarding course selection, General Education, your overall educational program, or your academic status, visit Student Services Center 220. The Academic Advising Programs is open year round to assist you.

Undeclared Advising

Academic Advising in SSC 220 is the home office for undergraduate students who are exploring their major options and course of study. We provide focused advising help for undeclared students who are unsure about their educational direction, as well as those who want to explore options. We encourage students who are in the process of deciding on a major to seek assistance when needed.

If you are an undeclared student, we invite you to meet with an academic advisor regularly to plan each semester's academic program and to explore the ways in which your interests can lead to the choice of a major and even a career. You will also discover ways in which you can create an educational experience that is uniquely yours by combining a major with a minor, certificate program, or even "selected electives."

Major Advising

Advising in your major is provided by the academic department of your major field of study. Students who have declared a major are assigned academic advisors through their major departments and should consult with them regularly. Major advisors will work with you to determine your status towards meeting major requirements. Academic Advisors complement the work of major advisors. We encourage you to develop close advising relationships with your advisors and other faculty in your major department.

    Major Advising Centers

    Based on your major, there are other centralized advising centers on campus to assist you:

    Business Administration: For students considering a business major and students who are declared as pre-business, business administration or business information systems, visit Business Undergraduate Advising in GLNN 321.

    Liberal Studies: For students considering a multiple subject teaching credential (K-8) or a liberal arts degree, visit the Liberal Studies Advising Office in THMA 211.

    Education and Credential Programs: The School of Education offers teaching, specialist, and service credential programs. Information regarding credential programs and appropriate subject matter program advisors or professional education coordinators is available on the School of Education website at, or at the School of Education office in THMA 101.

Whether you plan to meet with an Academic Advising Programs staff member or your major advisor, it is important to plan for your meeting. Review your Degree Progress Report in the Student Center within your Portal account. Make a list of your questions and concerns to make the most of your time with your advisor.

New Student Orientation

To welcome new students to CSU, Chico and our wonderful community, we provide a variety of orientation opportunities:

Summer Orientation

Summer Orientation sessions held in June and July provide help with academic course selection and registration activities for new freshmen and transfer students. These sessions provide comprehensive advising assistance to new students.

Summer Orientation sessions include: small group discussions on graduation requirements; demonstrations on how to choose and register for classes; information on student life; advising in your selected major, as well as advising for undeclared students; campus and residence hall tours; and information on special programs. There is also a concurrent orientation program offered for parents.

It is strongly recommended that all the new students attend a full orientation session if possible. Some of the following comments were made by new students and their parents attending past Summer Orientation programs:

"My orientation leader offered information and asked if we had questions, then promptly answered them. It made me feel welcome and at ease."

"I received very good information when selecting my classes. It prepared me for the upcoming semester. I especially enjoyed being able to meet someone from my major department."

"The time was worthwhile. I feel relieved. Personal attention was given and was very helpful."

"I feel much more comfortable about my daughter attending Chico State after attending an orientation session."

Express Orientation Sessions

As an alternative to students who are unable to attend a full Summer Orientation session, Academic Advising Programs offers a brief, 60-90 minute Express Orientation for new students. A brief overview of academic policies, graduation requirements, and course selection strategies are discussed.

*Please note: students do not register for classes during express orientation sessions.

Online Orientation

If you are unable to participate in an on-campus orientation program you can access a virtual Online Orientation. This website offers an introduction to basic academic policy, graduation requirements and other important academic advising information. You should plan on completing the online orientation prior to meeting with an academic advisor.

International Students

The week before classes begin, the Office of International Education conducts a special orientation program for new international students. The topics covered include: housing assistance, money matters, academic advising, pre-registration information, testing requirements, and general University as well as Chico community information.

Advising Services

Declaration of a Major or Minor

In some academic programs, students who have declared majors have a higher registration priority than non-majors. This priority may be a factor in obtaining the schedule of classes you desire. It is best to declare or change your major at the first opportunity. Plan Change forms for declaring and changing an undergraduate major, option, or minor are available on the CSU, Chico web: Plan Change Form.

Major Academic Plans (MAPS)

Every major provides a Major Academic Plan (MAP) that serves as a guide or road map for students to follow as a way of completing their degree in the most efficient and timely manner. Students can utilize their MAP to determine which courses to take and in what order. In addition, a MAP can be used as a check list to ensure completion of all degree requirements.

Visit the Academic Advising Programs regarding ways to facilitate your progress towards graduation. Advisors will assist you in developing your individual plan for graduating in an appropriate time frame.

EPT and ELM Advising

For critical information on EPT and ELM policies, refer to the Mathematics and Writing Requirements section of this catalog. Academic Advising Programs staff can answer questions about test results and appropriate course placement. If you are concerned about your ability to progress through our mathematics or writing requirements, special help is available.

Emergency and Absence Notifications

If you must be absent from class for a week or more and would like your instructors notified, please call Academic Advising Programs at 530-898-5712.

Messages can be delivered to you on-campus if a personal emergency situation warrants.

Withdrawing from the University

Should you ever find it necessary to withdraw from all your classes during the first twelve weeks of the semester, initiate the process by picking up a withdrawal form in the Office of The Registrar prior to meeting with an advisor in Academic Advising Programs. Academic Advisors will be able to discuss alternatives with you, as well as explain how to apply for a Planned Educational Leave from the University. For information on the withdrawal process, see Academic Policies and Regulations Withdrawing from the University.

Academic Probation Advising

If your Chico or cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation. In this case, you should meet with your faculty advisor and a staff member in Academic Advising Programs within the first two weeks of the semester, so that changes can be made to your academic program. You may be able to take advantage of helpful University policies, such as repeating courses with academic forgiveness. Taking OLLE (an online learning experience tutorial) can help you learn more about strategies to help you avoid academic probation as well as information about other University policies. The GPA Calculator can help you compute your grade point average and project future averages based on projected grades for the current semester.

While on Academic Probation, you should restrict your course load to fourteen units or less each semester until you achieve clear academic standing (a GPA of 2.0).

All students who are placed on academic probation are required to see their advisors during the first two weeks of the semester to discuss strategies for returning to clear academic standing. Failure to do so could result in a registration hold.

Disqualified Student Advising

If you have been academically disqualified we encourage you to seek special advising from staff in Academic Advising Programs. We will review your academic record, explain the appeal process that is necessary for reinstatement to the University, and help you develop a strategy that will maximize your chances of academic recovery. Academically disqualified students desiring reinstatement must file an Appeal for Reinstatement by the published deadline.

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Evaluators review college coursework taken previously and apply it to meet your general degree requirements. You may view your official transfer credit evaluation and Degree Progress Report within your Student Center of the Portal. Academic Advisors are available if you have questions regarding your remaining graduation requirements.


We encourage you to drop in to meet with an Academic Evaluator in the Student Services Center (SSC 110) if you have any questions regarding your transfer credit and general education (GE), your remaining degree requirements, your graduation evaluation or Grad Check, or other matters that might affect your graduation status. If you cannot come in person, please call 530-898-5957.

National Student Exchange

Approximately fifty-five students participate in domestic exchanges between CSU, Chico and the 174 member institutions of the National Student Exchange (NSE) Consortium in the United States and its territories. If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to learn more, schedule an appointment with the National Student Exchange advisor in Academic Advising Programs, SSC 220, 530-898-5712.

Catalog Cycle:14