This is an archived version of the University Catalog and is no longer being maintained. References to people, offices, policies, and web links may be outdated. View the current catalog or email for updated information. Students who have catalog rights to this version of the catalog should check with an advisor for graduation requirements.

Skip to Side Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Accessibility Settings

Academic Advising

Academic Advising Programs consists of the following programs: advising, national student exchange, and new student orientation. Our purpose is to help you develop and achieve your educational goals and use the diverse resources available at California State University, Chico. The focus is on you! Our staff will help facilitate your understanding of the opportunities here, as well as the policies and procedures related to your academic progress. If we don't have the answer, we will help you find someone who does. We welcome all of your questions, so make a plan to drop in on a regular basis.


Academic Advisors are available to answer your questions regarding academic planning, resources, and success. We can help you understand how to meet General Education and other graduation requirements, choose courses of interest, select majors, minors, and other educational offerings (certificates, exchange programs, and internships), and address concerns about academic probation and success, and resolve issues related to policies and procedures. We also assist transfer students in understanding their transfer-credit evaluations and degree progress reports.

Advising staff help you explore how General Education, your major, minor(s), and elective credit complement each other and lead to development of your overall educational program.

If you have a question regarding course selection, General Education, your overall educational program, or your academic status, visit Student Services Center 220. The Academic Advising Program office is open year round to assist you.

Advising in your major is provided by the academic department of your major field of study. Students who have declared a major are assigned academic advisors through their major departments and should consult with them regularly. Major advisors will work with you to determine your status towards meeting major requirements. Academic Advisors complement the work of major advisors. We encourage you to develop close advising relationships with your advisors and other faculty in your major department.

Whether you plan to meet with an Academic Advising Program staff member or your major advisor, it is important to plan for your meeting. Review your Degree Progress Report in the Student Center within your Portal account. Make a list of your questions and concerns to make the most of your time with your advisor.

Undeclared Student Advising

Academic Advising in SSC 220 is the home office for undergraduate students who are exploring their major options and course of study. We provide focused advising help for undeclared students who are unsure about their educational direction, as well as those who want to explore options. We encourage students who are in the process of deciding on a major to seek assistance when needed.

If you are an undeclared student, we invite you to meet with an academic advisor regularly to plan each semester's academic program and to explore the ways in which your interests can lead to the choice of a major and even a career. You will also discover ways in which you can create an educational experience that is uniquely yours by combining a major with a minor, certificate program, or even "selected electives."

Other Advising Centers

There are other centralized advising centers on campus to assist you:

Business Administration: For students considering a business major, or students who are declared pre-business, or declared as a business administration major, visit Business Undergraduate Advising (BUND) in GLNN 321.

Liberal Studies: For students considering a multiple subjects teaching credential (K-8) or a liberal arts degree, visit the Liberal Studies Advising Office in THMA 211.

Education and Credential Programs The School of Education offers teaching, specialist, and service credential programs. Information regarding credential programs and appropriate subject matter program advisors or professional education coordinators is available on the School of Education website at, or at the School of Education office in THMA 101.

New Student Orientation

To welcome new students to CSU, Chico and our wonderful community, we provide a variety of orientation opportunities:

Summer Orientation

Summer Orientation sessions held in June and July highlight academic course selection and registration activities for new freshmen and transfer students. These sessions provide comprehensive advising assistance to new students. Information on Summer Orientation is available by visiting our website at Orientation.

Summer Orientation sessions include: small group discussions on graduation requirements; demonstrations on how to choose and register for classes; information on student life; advising in your selected major, as well as advising for undeclared students; campus and residence hall tours; and information on special programs. There is also a concurrent orientation program offered for parents.

It is strongly recommended that all the new students attend a full orientation session if possible. Some of the following comments were made by new students and their parents attending past Summer Orientation programs:

"My orientation leader offered information and asked if we had questions, then promptly answered them. It made me feel welcome and at ease."

"I received very good information when selecting my classes. It prepared me for the upcoming semester. I especially enjoyed being able to meet someone from my major department."

"The time was worthwhile. I feel relieved. Personal attention was given and was very helpful."

"I feel much more comfortable about my daughter attending Chico State after attending an orientation session."

Academic Advising Mini-Orientation Sessions

As an alternative to Summer Orientation, the Office of Academic Advising offers a brief, 60-90 minute mini-orientation for new students. A brief overview of academic policies, graduation requirements, and course selection strategies are discussed. Mini-orientations are offered in late July and August for fall term, as well as in November and December for spring applicants. Students planning to attend a mini-orientation session should register in advance at

*Please note: students do not register for classes during Academic Advising mini-orientation sessions.

Online Orientation

Students who are unable to attend a Summer Orientation or an Academic Advising mini-orientation can access orientation information online at orientation/. This website offers an introduction to basic academic policy, graduation requirements and other important academic advising information appropriate for all students. Students complete the online orientation prior to meeting with an academic advisor.

Wildcat Welcome

The week before classes begin, the University celebrates your presence as a new member of our community. As part of that celebration, the University and the Chico community sponsor a variety of special activities for new students. It is important to make good and early connections in our community with:

  • The learning environment at Chico
  • Faculty and staff
  • Administrative and student leaders
  • Programs that can improve and enrich your experience, and
  • The community of Chico.

Activities are explained on the following website:

International Students

The week before classes begin, the International Programs Office conducts a special four-day orientation program for new international students. The topics covered include: housing assistance, money matters, academic advising, pre-registration information, testing requirements, and general University as well as Chico community information.

Underrepresented Students

Summer and other orientation programs are designed for EOP and other underrepresented students. See "Educational Opportunity Programs" in this catalog.


Courses from other California colleges and universities are reviewed and aligned with CSU, Chico's lower-division curriculum to enable students to transfer these credits for use in their degree programs.

ASSIST is the statewide intersegmental program that provides a computerized database for articulation and major preparation for transferring students. ASSIST displays California Community College courses which are articulated and may be used in place of CSU, Chico lower-division courses to meet major requirements. Access to this information is available online: For more information, call 530-898-4280.

Other Advising Services

Declaration of a Major or Minor

In some academic programs, students who have declared majors have a higher registration priority than non-majors. This priority may be a factor in obtaining the schedule of classes you desire. It is best to declare or change your major at the first opportunity. "Undergraduate Plan Change" forms for declaring and changing an undergraduate major, option, or minor are available on the CSU, Chico web: Plan Change Form.

You need to obtain the signature of a faculty advisor representing the academic program you are declaring and then return the form to the Office of The Registrar located in the Student Services Center 110. We also can refer you to an advisor for the program in which you are interested. To access this information yourself, check out Program Search.

Major Academic Plans (MAPS)

Every major provides a Major Academic Plan (MAP) that serves as a guide or road map for students to follow as a way of completing their degree in the most efficient and timely manner. Students can utilize their MAP to determine which courses to take and in what order. In addition, a MAP can be used as a check list to ensure completion of all degree requirements.

First-time freshmen who are eligible to enroll in General Education level mathematics and English courses immediately upon admission may be able to graduate in four years. Those with less preparation may take longer. See the section on Undergraduate Education for steps to graduate in four years.

You may request a suggested eight semester plan or MAP for achieving this goal from your major department advisor, the Academic Advising Office, or you may view and print it and other advising information from

Visit the Academic Advising Programs Office in SSC 220 regarding other ways to facilitate your progress towards graduation. Advisors will assist you in creating your plan for graduating in an appropriate time frame.

EPT and ELM Advising

For critical information on EPT and ELM policies, refer to the Math and Writing Requirements section of this catalog. Academic Advising Programs Office staff can answer questions about test results and appropriate course placement. If you are concerned about your ability to progress through our mathematics or writing requirements, special help is available.

Academic Probation Advising

If your Chico or cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation. In this case, you should meet with your faculty advisor, and/or a staff member in Academic Advising Programs (SSC 220) within the first two weeks of the semester, so that changes can be made to your academic program. You may be able to take advantage of helpful University policies, such as repeating courses with academic forgiveness. Taking OLLE (an online learning experience tutorial) can help you learn more about strategies to help you avoid academic probation as well as information about other University policies. Visit the OLLE website at: Other online resources such as the GPA calculator are also available to assist you, see:

While on Academic Probation, you should restrict your course load to fourteen units or less each semester until you achieve clear academic standing (a GPA of 2.0).

All students who are placed on academic probation are required to see their advisors during the first two weeks of the semester to discuss strategies for a return to clear academic standing.

Disqualified Student Advising

We encourage students who have been academically disqualified to seek special advising from staff in Academic Advising Programs. They will review your academic record, explain the appeal process that is necessary for reinstatement to the University, and help you develop a strategy that will maximize your chances of academic recovery. Academically disqualified students desiring reinstatement must file an appeal for reinstatement through this office by the published deadline. They must also reapply to the university. For information on how to appeal or re-appeal your disqualification, talk to an academic advisor or go to

Emergency and Absence Notifications

If you must be absent from class for a week or more and would like your instructors notified, please call Academic Advising Programs at 530-898-5712. Messages can be delivered to you on campus if a personal emergency situation warrants.

Withdrawing from the University

Should you ever find it necessary to withdraw from all your classes during the first twelve weeks of the semester, initiate the process by picking up a withdrawal form in the Office of The Registrar prior to meeting with an advisor in the Office of Academic Advising. Our staff will be able to discuss alternatives with you, as well as explain how to apply for a Planned Educational Leave from the University. For information on the withdrawal process, see Academic Policies and Regulations "Withdrawing from the University."


We encourage you to drop in to meet with an Academic Evaluator in the Student Services Center (SSC 110) if you have any questions regarding your transfer credit and general education (GE), your remaining degree requirements, your graduation evaluation or Grad Check, or other matters that might affect your graduation status. If you cannot come in person, call 530-898-5957.

Transfer Credit

Academic Evaluators review college course work taken previously and apply it to meet your general degree requirements. When your admissions file is complete and evaluated, you may view your Degree Progress Report through your Portal account. The progress report will inform you about requirements that remain for your bachelor's degree.

Generally, credit for work completed at regionally accredited institutions will be transferred and appropriately applied towards degree requirements, as long as it is not identified by such institutions as remedial or non-transferable. There are certain limitations. No more than 70 semester units (105 quarter units) in course work at a two-year college may be accepted for unit credit towards the bachelor's degree. However, courses in excess of 70 semester units will receive subject credit and will be applied to satisfy content requirements as appropriate. Neither upper-division credit nor credit for professional education courses is allowed for two-year college course work. Additionally, no more than 24 semester units earned in extension (including correspondence) courses will be allowed towards the bachelor's degree. Baccalaureate-level course credit certified by Defense Activities in Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) falls under this limit.

California Community Colleges are authorized by the California State University Trustees to certify the transferability of courses they teach. Therefore, if you are attending a California Community College, consult a counselor for information on the transferability of courses.

Transfer credit is not limited to those courses that precisely parallel the courses offered at Chico. Chico honors the grading and recording practices of other accredited collegiate institutions when transferring credit. Academic Evaluators convert quarter units of credit to semester units by multiplying the quarter unit totals by two-thirds.

Transfer Credit from Overseas Institutions

Credit is granted for study completed at recognized overseas institutions. The awarding of credit varies depending on the educational system of the country. Chico students planning to attend overseas institutions should check with Evaluations regarding the acceptability of credit prior to departure.

Credit By Examination

Students may challenge courses by taking examinations developed at CSU, Chico. Credit shall be awarded to those who pass them successfully.

Credit for Non-Collegiate Instruction

CSU, Chico grants undergraduate degree credit for successful completion of non-collegiate instruction, either military or civilian, appropriate to the baccalaureate degree, which has been recommended by the Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education. The number of units allowed are those recommended in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services and the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.

Credit for Prior Learning

CSU, Chico grants up to 30 units of credit for learning, knowledge, or skills-based experience that has been documented and evaluated according to campus policy. Please see the chapter on Academic Policies and Regulations subsection on "Course Credit Policies" in the catalog for complete information.

Advanced Placement

CSU, Chico grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of examinations of the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board. Students who present scores of three or better will be granted up to eight semester units of college credit. The number of units and how they meet specific academic content requirements are specified in the Advanced Placement Examinations Chart below.

Advanced Placement Examinations Chart
(Minimum Score of 3 Required)
AP ExamCredit 
(semester units)
Meets this GE area 
or course equivalent
Art—Studio Art/2D 3 Area C1
Art—Studio Art/3D 3 Area C1
Art—Studio Art/Drawing 6 -
Art—History 6 Area C1: ARTS 101, ARTS 102
Biology (includes lab) 8 Area B2 and GE lab requirement: BIOL 101, BIOL 151, or NSCI 102, plus additional life science
Calculus AB 4 Area A4: MATH 120
Calculus BC 8 Area A4: MATH 120 and MATH 121
Calculus AB Subscore on BC Exam 4 Area A4: MATH 120
Chemistry (includes lab) 8 Area B1 and GE Lab Requirement, plus additional physical science
Chinese Language and Literature 6 Area C2*
Computer Science A (A only) 3 CSCI 111
Computer Science A and B 6 CSCI 111 and CSCI 112
Economics—Macro 3 Area D2: ECON 102
Economics—Micro 3 Area D1: ECON 103
English—Language and Composition 6 Area A2: ENGL 130***
English—Literature and Composition 6 Area A2: ENGL 130 & Area C2: ENGL 240***
Environmental Science 4 Area B1 and GE lab requirement
French—Language 6 Area C2*
French—Literature 6 Area C2*
German—Language 6 Area C2*
Government and Politics—U.S. 3 U.S. Constitution or any Area D objective**
Government and Politics—Comparative 3 Area D1 or D2
History—European 6 Area D3 or C3
History—U.S. 6 HIST 130 and GE Area D3 or C3
History—World 6 HIST 101 and 102 or GE Area D3 or C3
Human Geography 3 Area D3
Italian Language and Culture 6 Area C2*
Japanese Language and Literature 6 Area C2*
Latin—Vergil 6 Area C2
Latin—Latin Literature 6 Area C2
Music—Theory 6 Area C1*
Physics B (includes lab) 8 Area B1 and GE Lab Requirement: PHYS 202A and PHYS 202B
Physics C—Mechanics 4 Area B1 and GE Lab Requirement: PHYS 204A
Physics C—Electricity & Magnetism 4 Area B1 and GE Lab Requirement: PHYS 204B
Psychology 3 Area E or D1: PSYC 101
Spanish—Language 6 Area C2*
Spanish—Literature 6 Area C2*
Statistics 3 Area A4: MATH 105
Either 3 or 6 units of credit will be allowed for all other exams and applied to meet lower-division breadth requirements as appropriate.
*Department requires formal assessment for placement into appropriate courses.
**Does not meet California State and Local content requirement.
***If both AP English Exams are passed, a maximum of 9 units will be awarded.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

As recommended by the California State University Chancellor’s Office, CSU, Chico grants credit toward its undergraduate degrees for successful completion of specific Higher Level International Baccalaureate examinations.  Students who present scores of four or better will be granted up to six semester units of credit applied to the appropriate General Education requirements.  Please consult the IB Chart for specific details.

International Baccalaureate Examinations Chart
(Higher Level Exams only; minimum score of 4 required)
IB Exam 
(July 2001 Version)
(semester units)
Meets this GE area 
or course equivalent
Biology HL 6 B2 plus lab
Chemistry HL 6 B1 plus lab
Economics HL 6 D2
English A1 HL 6 C2, GC
Georgraphy HL 6 D3
History of the Americas HL 6 D3, HIST 130, GC
History (any other region) HL 6 C3 or D3
Language (any) A1 HL 6 C2
Language (any) A2 HL 6 C2
Mathematics HL 6 A4
Physics HL 6 B1 plus lab
Psychology HL 3 E or D1
Theatre HL 6 C1

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CSU, Chico grants credit and/or fulfills requirements for certain CLEP Exams taken July 2001 or later as indicated in the chart below. For CLEP Exams taken prior to July 2001, please consult an Academic Evaluator at 530-898-5957.

There are some limits to the amount of credit that will be granted for results on external examinations. First, no more than 30 semester units of such credit may count towards degree requirements. Credit for Advanced Placement examinations is not included in this limit. Where credit has already been awarded at the equivalent or at a more advanced level, additional credit by examination shall not be awarded. Where partial overlap exists, credit in the amounts indicated above will be reduced accordingly.

Credit by examination is not considered residence credit for purposes of residency requirements for the bachelor's degree.

College Level Examination Programs (CLEP) Chart
CLEP Exam 
(July 2001 Version)
(semester units)
Meets this GE area 
or course equivalent
Accounting, Principles of 50 3 *ACCT 201 and 202
American Government 50 3 U.S. Constitution/Any D
American Literature 50 3 C2
Analyzing/Interpreting Literature 50 3 C2
Biology 50 3 B2 (no lab)
Business Law, Intro 50 3 ----
Calculus 50 3 A4
Chemistry 50 3 B1 (no lab)
College Algebra 50 3 A4
College Algebra/Trigonometry 50 3 A4
College Mathematics 50 3 A4
Educational Psychology, Intro 50 3 ----
English Literature 50 3 C2
Financial Accounting 50 3 ----
French, Level 1 50 6 C2
French, Level 2 59 12 C2
German, Level 1 50 6 C2
German, Level 2 60 12 C2
History, United States I 50 3 HIST 130/D3
History, United States II 50 3 HIST 130/D3
Human Growth and Development 50 3 E
Humanities 50 3 C3
Info System/Computer Apps 50 3 ----
Macroeconomics, Principles of 50 3 D2
Management, Principles of 50 3 ----
Marketing, Principles of 50 3 ----
Microeconomics, Principles of 50 3 D1
Natural Sciences 50 3 B1 or B2 (no lab)
Pre-Calculus 50 3 A4
Psychology, Intro 50 3 D1 or E
Social Sciences and History 50 3 ----
Sociology, Intro 50 3 D3
Spanish, Level 1 50 6 C2
Spanish, Level 2 63 12 C2
Trigonometry 50 3 A4
Western Civilization I 50 3 D3 or C3
Western Civilization II 50 3 D3: HIST 110
*Fulfills content requirement only, no units earned.

There are some limits to the amount of credit that will be granted for results on external examinations. First, no more than 30 semester units of such credit may count toward degree requirements. Credit for Advanced Placement examinations is not included in this limit. Where credit has already been awarded at the equivalent or at a more advanced level, additional credit shall not be awarded. Where partial overlap exists, credit in the amounts indicated above will be reduced accordingly.

Credit by examination is not considered residence credit for purposes of residency requirements for the bachelor's degree.

National Student Exchange

Approximately fifty-five students participate in domestic exchanges between CSU, Chico and the 174 member institutions of the National Student Exchange (NSE) Consortium in the United States and its territories. If you are interested in this exciting opportunity and want to learn more, schedule an appointment with the NSE advisor in the Office of Academic Advising Programs, SSC 220, 530-898-5712.


Catalog Cycle:11