This is an archived version of the University Catalog and is no longer being maintained. References to people, offices, policies, and web links may be outdated. View the current catalog or email for updated information. Students who have catalog rights to this version of the catalog should check with an advisor for graduation requirements.

Skip to Side Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Accessibility Settings

Veteran's Affairs

The Office of Veterans' Affairs (OVA) at Chico is designed to assist veterans and their dependents in reaching their educational goals. The OVA staff are your liaisons to the United States Department of Veterans' Affairs, and they will make every effort to provide speedy educational benefit payment with a minimal amount of difficulty.


Eligibility for VA educational benefits can be extended to veterans, reservists, and children of service-connected deceased or disabled veterans under the following programs:

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)

Enlistment after July 1, 1985 is required. The serviceperson must have participated in the pay reduction program. The monthly payment rate will vary with the length and type of service. Monthly "self-certification" is required to insure benefit payments.

U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31)

This program is available to certain veterans who have a service-connected disability of 20 percent or greater. It provides a monthly stipend and also covers the cost of tuition, books, supplies, and tutorial or special assistance. Although the date of entry to active service is not considered, students should use this benefit within twelve years of the date of discharge. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Dependents' GI Bill (Chapter 35)

A child or spouse of a service-connected deceased or 100-percent-permanently disabled veteran may be eligible for VA educational assistance. The marital status of a dependent child is not a factor in determining eligibility. Benefits may be used until the dependent has reached the age of twenty-six or for eight years from the date that eligibility is determined, whichever is later.

Reservists Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606)

Enlistment or extension for six years of reserve duty after July 1, 1985 is required. This program does not require a contribution by the service member, but the reservist must be actively drilling.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)-REAP

A Department of Defense education benefit designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components (who serves on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001 at least 90 consecutive days or more) called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security will determine who is eligible for this program. The Department of Veteran's Affairs will administer the program and pay benefits from funds contributed by the Department of Defense.

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

A new education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. This program begins August 1, 2009. Eligibility is determined by length of service and entitles the veteran to a percentage of the following: Cost of tuition and fees, monthly housing allowance, and a yearly stipend for books and supplies up to $1,000.

Military Service Credit

Credit for military experience is granted according to the reccommendations of the American Council on Education, Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. To receive credit, submit your military transcripts along with a copy of your DD 214 to the Office of the Registrar. Substitutions of military training for specific coursework must be approved by the major department.

Dependents' Fee Waiver

As a child of a service-connected deceased or disabled veteran, you may be eligible for a waiver of the fees necessary to attend CSU, Chico. This program is administered by the California Department of Veterans' Affairs. You may be required to meet certain income limits. Applications are available in the OVA or any county Veterans' Service Office.

Servicemembers' Opportunity College (SOC)

The OVA is the campus point of contact for SOC. This program serves enlisting or active duty servicepersons with specific advising, admissions, and other support.

How to Apply for Benefits

Consult the Office of Veterans' Affairs by e-mail telephone, letter, or better yet, in person. We will give you all the forms you need to apply for your benefits.

Payment Delays

Though the OVA tries very hard to speed up the benefit process, you should be prepared for payment delays. Always allow VA six to eight weeks to process any change in your claim. Allow an additional four to six weeks if your main claim folder must be transferred from one VA regional office to another.

Advance Payments

You must apply for advance payment at least thirty days prior to the beginning of the term and allow six to eight weeks for the VA to deliver your check to the University. The advance payment will include payment for the first two calendar months of the term, which usually means payment for a few days of one month and all of the following month. These checks may be picked up in the Office of Veterans' Affairs during the week before classes begin.

Services Offered Through the Office of Veterans' Affairs

  • U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs Benefits Counseling
  • Educational Benefits Certification
  • Emergency Loans
  • Tutorial Assistance
  • VA Work-Study Program
  • Compulsory Service Liaison
  • Referrals to local veteran services

U.S. Department of Veterans' Affairs Toll-Free Telephone Number: 1-800-827-1000

U.S.D.V.A. Education Services 1-888-GI BILL 1

Catalog Cycle:11