This is an archived version of the University Catalog and is no longer being maintained. References to people, offices, policies, and web links may be outdated. View the current catalog or email for updated information. Students who have catalog rights to this version of the catalog should check with an advisor for graduation requirements.

Skip to Side Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Accessibility Settings

Academic Advising

Academic Advising Programs helps you develop and achieve your educational goals, and encourage you to use the diverse resources available at California State University, Chico. The focus is on you! Our staff will help facilitate your understanding of the opportunities here, as well as the policies and procedures related to your academic progress. If we don't have the answer, we will help you find someone who does. We welcome all of your questions, so make a plan to drop in on a regular basis.

Undergraduate Advising

Academic Advisors are available to answer your questions regarding academic planning, resources, and success. We can help you understand how to meet General Education and other graduation requirements, choose courses of interest, select majors, minors, including interdisciplinary minors and other educational offerings (certificates, exchange programs, and internships). Advisors can assist in addressing concerns about academic probation and resolve issues related to policies and procedures. We also assist transfer students in understanding their transfer-credit evaluations and degree progress reports.

Advising staff will help you explore how the various requirements of your degree complement each other and lead to the development of your overall educational program.

If you have a question regarding General Education, course selection, your overall educational program, or your academic status, visit Academic Advising Programs for the best year-round contact information.

Undeclared Advising

Academic Advising is the home office for undergraduate students who are exploring their major options and course of study. We provide focused advising help for undeclared students who are unsure about their educational direction, as well as those who want to explore options. We encourage students who are in the process of deciding on a major to seek assistance when needed.

If you are an undeclared student, we invite you to meet with an academic advisor regularly to plan each semester's academic program and to explore the ways in which your interests can lead to the choice of a major and even a career. You will also discover ways in which you can create an educational experience that is uniquely yours by combining a major with a minor, certificate program, or even "selected electives."

Major Advising

Chico State practices a dual advising system. Advising in your major is provided by the academic department of your major field of study. Students who have declared a major are assigned academic advisors through their major departments and should consult with them regularly. Major advisors will work with you to determine your status towards meeting major requirements. We encourage you to develop close advising relationships with your advisors and other faculty in your major department.

Whether you plan to meet with an Academic Advising Programs staff member or your major advisor, it is important to plan for your meeting. Review your Degree Progress Report in the Student Center within your Portal account. Make a list of your questions and concerns to make the most of your time with your advisor.

Advising Services

Major Academic Plans (MAPS)

While a student's Degree Progress Report is the official measure of degree requirement completion, every major provides a Major Academic Plans (MAP) that serves as a guide or road map for students to follow as a way of completing their degree in the most efficient and timely manner. Students can utilize their MAP to determine which courses to take and in what order.

Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning and Written Communication Requirements

For critical information please refer to the Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning and Writing Requirements section of this catalog. Academic Advising Programs staff can answer questions about appropriate course placement. If you are concerned about your ability to progress through our Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning or Written Communication requirements, help is available.

The California Promise

The California Promise Program enables a specific number of CSU campuses to establish pledge programs for entering first-time students who are both interested and able to complete baccalaureate degrees in 4-years. All campuses have established programs for students with Associate Degrees for Transfer from any California Community College to complete their baccalaureate degrees in 2-years. The program is limited to students who are residents of California.

Students who commit to enter either the 4-year or 2-year pledge will be given a priority registration appointment for each state-supported enrollment period and will be provided with routine and thorough academic advisement. In order to remain in the program, students must meet with their advisors as prescribed, develop an enrollment plan and complete 30 semester units or the quarter equivalent within each academic year, including summer. Participating campuses may stipulate other requirements as well. Interested students entering CSU, Chico should visit

Emergency and Absence Notifications

If you must be absent from class for a week or more and would like your instructors notified, please call Academic Advising Programs at 530-898-5712. Messages can be delivered to you on campus if a personal emergency situation warrants.

Withdrawing from the University

Should you find it necessary to withdraw from all your classes during the first 12 weeks of the semester, initiate the process with the Office of The Registrar prior to meeting with an advisor in Academic Advising Programs. Academic Advisors are able to discuss alternatives with you, as well as explain how to apply for a Planned Educational Leave from the University. For information on the withdrawal process, see Academic Policies and Regulations Withdrawing from the University.

Academic Probation Advising

If your Chico or cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic probation. In this case, you should meet with your faculty advisor and a staff member in Academic Advising Programs within the first two weeks of the semester, so that changes can be made to your academic schedule or program. You may be able to take advantage of helpful University policies, such as repeating courses with academic forgiveness.  The GPA Calculator can help you compute your grade point average and project future averages based on projected grades for the current semester.

While on Academic Probation, you should restrict your course load to fourteen units or less each semester until you achieve clear academic standing (a minimum GPA of 2.0).

All students who are placed on academic probation are required to see their advisors during the first two weeks of the semester to discuss strategies for returning to clear academic standing. Failure to do so could result in a registration hold.

Disqualified Student Advising

If you have been academically disqualified we encourage you to seek special advising from staff in Academic Advising Programs. We will review your academic record, explain the appeal process that is necessary for reinstatement to the University, and help you develop a strategy that will maximize your chances of academic recovery. Academically disqualified students desiring reinstatement must file an Appeal for Reinstatement by the published deadline.

Catalog Cycle:21